The SPAC Dance Residency is a fully-immersive arts education program that will give young people the opportunity to experience life-enhancing benefits through the art of dance. At SPAC, we believe in dance as an art form that should be accessible, appealing, and a powerful part of the learning curriculum for all children. For this in-school program, SPAC’s goal is to inspire and engage young people through immersion in the creative dance process, ultimately developing within them a stronger self-esteem and a desire for continued achievement.
“Beyond exposing kids to and affording them to experience the performing arts, the real impact as voiced by staff and parents, was the confidence and self-esteem that the kids gained by participating.”
– Participating School Superintendent
Details About the Program
- Two highly-trained SPAC teaching artists and a SPAC musician visit your school to teach ten dance classes to every student participating in the program.
- Residencies can take place within a 2-week intensive, a 5-week, or a 10-week timeframe.
- Dance classes are highly energetic, athletic, and joyful.
- All students in a selected grade or grades participate in the program.
- Dance classes take place during the school day to ensure that they are an integral part of the students’ daily learning.
- Each residency is based on a curricular theme. Themes include genres of music, inspirational artists, and world cultures.
- Students will present a celebratory performance on the final day of the program. This final performance will last approximately 30 minutes and take place both during the school day (for classmates and teachers) and in the evening (for families and friends).
Saratoga Performing Arts Center is a registered BOCES Arts & Enrichment provider.
The SPAC Dance Residency is inspired by the award-winning pedagogy developed by National Dance Institute and implemented daily in New York City public schools.
Interested in bringing our Dance Residency to your school?
If you are a schoolteacher, principal, or administrator, and you’re interested in the SPAC Dance Residency program, please call our Education Department at 518.584.9330 or contact us.