We value our volunteers to the highest esteem at SPAC as our organization is insurmountably thankful for the work they contribute. Through their dedication and commitment at SPAC, they help foster our mission to develop among our members and the community at large and love of the performing arts! Can you believe our ushers contribute over 12,000 volunteer hours every season?
Applicants are encouraged to request performances that peak their interest as downtime allows ushers to enjoy the repertoire. Duties include greeting patrons, steering individuals to their seats, handing out programs at the gate, along with exceptional customer service.
Please complete a Volunteer Application form and return to our Volunteer Coordinator, Joan Sussman at email@example.com.
For Experienced Volunteers
Once approved to volunteer again this season, you will receive three separate schedules broken up into our Classical Programming, Little Theater, and Live Nation events.
Please send all communication inquires to Joan Sussman, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to join the team?
Every season SPAC relies on our incredible staff of hard working volunteers to help our patrons have the best experience possible at SPAC. Want to help? Use the links below to learn more and apply!
Volunteer ApplicationApply Today!
Download the Volunteer Application (PDF) or fill out the form below
Basic Usher Information
SPAC has a dedicated and enthusiastic group of volunteer ushers who work throughout the summer season from the end of May to mid September. Here is what is required:
- All ushers work at least 10 events in the Amphitheatre per season:4 hours each performance.
- Ushers are required to attend an orientation session held pre-season. There are usually 2 or 3 so choices in order to accommodate most schedules.
- Ushers park in the Rt 50 parking lot for all Live Nation events.
- Parking for Ballet, Orchestra and single events may be either in the Rt 50 lot or the Roosevelt Baths lot.
- Sign in sheets are ALWAYS at the gates. We ask that you check your name off as you report for work each time.
- The Little Theatre and the Amphitheatre are handled out of the Volunteer office.
- Amphitheatre events are Ballet, Orchestra, Live Nation and Specials.
- Little Theatre events are Opera Saratoga and Chamber Music Festival.
- Dress for Orchestra and Ballet is black pants, capris or skirts and white tops. No t-shirts, please.
- Dress for Jazz Festival is khaki shorts, capris, pants, skirts and a white top. Again, no t-shirts.
- Dress for Live Nation events is khaki pants, capris, skirts and a white top. No t-shirts.
- The Spa Little Theatre dress is black and white, same as the classical events.
- All events are open to returning volunteers first. New volunteers fill in and there are plenty of events to fill in.
- We keep a Waiting List for all events and always have cancellations.
- Ushers receive a written schedule at the beginning of the season.
- If you need to cancel an event, email email@example.com at least a day in advance, if possible.
- Ushers work in one of three sections: Balcony, Orchestra Left or Orchestra Right. Additionally, for the classical events, we need 3 people for the lawn. For Live Nation events, ushers work the Pit.
- If you check the SPAC website under seating, you can view the seating charts.
- At the end of the season, all working ushers are invited to an Usher Picnic provided by SPAC.
To find out more about becoming a volunteer at SPAC, please leave a message for our Volunteer Coordinator, Joan Sussman at 584-9330 ext.106, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.