Yannick Nézet-Séguin, conductor – learn more
Jennifer Koh, violin
Guest singers from the Broadway stage
Ryan Silverman, “Tony”
Julia Udine, “Maria”
Isabel Santiago, “Anita”
Bernstein Symphonic Suite from On the Waterfront
Bernstein Serenade (after Plato’s Symposium) for Solo Violin, Strings, Harp, and Percussion
Bernstein Scenes from West Side Story
Bernstein Symphonic Dances from West Side Story
- The Philadelphia Orchestra, 8pm
- Freihofer’s Live at the Jazz Bar (Hall of Springs Jazz Bar), 10pm – learn more
The Philadelphia Orchestra and Music Director Yannick Nézet-Séguin pay homage to the birth centennial of the composer-conductor with an ALL-BERNSTEIN program featuring an orchestral suite from his only film score, On the Waterfront; the Serenade featuring violinist JENNIFER KOH; and scenes from West Side Story. Making her SPAC debut, Jennifer Koh, Musical America’s 2016 Instrumentalist of the Year, is recognized for her intense, commanding performances. Collaborating with artists of multiple disciplines, she has premiered more than 60 works written especially for her.
Pre-Performance Talk, 7pm
30 minute talk with Yannick Nézet-Séguin, The Philadelphia Orchestra Music Director
Pre-Performance Talks are free for performance ticket holders thanks to generous support from Siena CollegeREGISTER
You must be attending the performance following the Pre-Performance Talk to attend the talk.
- Leonard Bernstein was among the first conductors born and educated in the US to receive worldwide acclaim.
- Bernstein probably received more divided opinion during his lifetime than any of his contemporaries. His music, his sexuality, his politics, his outspokenness –they all attracted comment.
- West Side Story, Bernstein’s most popular composition, is based on Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. Bernstein originally envisioned Juliet as a Jewish girl and Romeo as an Italian Catholic and called for the action to unfold during Easter and Passover, this was before the project was altered to reflect the more up-to-date social issue of gang conflict.
- Bernstein also produced what’s considered to be one of the greatest scores in Hollywood history for On the Waterfront, but was upset with the way his score was altered, and later adapted the music he produced into his own 20-minute suite of symphonic music.
Read more here:
- Leonard Bernstein: http://www.oxfordmusiconline.com/grovemusic/view/10.1093/gmo/9781561592630.001.0001/omo-9781561592630-e-1002223796?rskey=vus8jq&result=1
- West Side Story (1957): https://leonardbernstein.com/works/view/9/west-side-story
- On the Waterfront, symphonic suite: https://www.allmusic.com/composition/on-the-waterfront-symphonic-suite-mc0002657966