Haydn Trio in E-flat major for Piano, Violin, and Cello, Hob. XV:29
Schubert Fantasie in F minor for Piano, Four Hands, D. 940, Op. 103
Kreisler Viennese Rhapsodic Fantasietta for Violin and Piano
Schubert Octet in F major for Winds and Strings, D. 803, Op. 166
Gilbert Kalish, Piano; Wu Han, Piano; Alexander Sitkovetsky, Violin; Arnaud Sussmann, Violin; Yura Lee, Violin/Viola; David Finckel, Cello; Clive Greensmith,Cello; Joseph Conyers, Double Bass; Ricardo Morales, Clarinet; Daniel Matsukawa, Bassoon; Jennifer Montone, Horn
Pre-concert Talk: Panel Discussion, 2:15pm
Talk will be begin at 2:15pm featuring:
Wu Han, Piano
Jennifer Montone, Horn
Arnaud Sussmann, Violin
Yura Lee, Viola
Joseph Conyers, Double Bass
Viennese composers Franz Schubert and Fritz Kreisler are showcased in this program with their hometown-inspired masterpieces, while Austrian-born Joseph Haydn contributes a trio full of character and impeccable technique.
- During the first decades of the 19th Century, the city of Vienna was a thrilling and highly competitive musical melting pot. Conductors, performers, and composers from all parts of Europe flocked to the city to take advantage of its rapidly expanding opportunities.
- Between January and April 1828, a few months before his death, Schubert wrote Fantasia in F minor, which answers his first composition that bears the same name, although this time around we hear more of a farewell to the things Schubert loved.
- Fantasia in F minor by Franz Schubert, D.940 for piano four-hands (two players at one piano), is one of Schubert’s most important works for more than one pianist and one of his most important piano works altogether. Musicologist Christopher Gibbs has characterized the work as “among not only his greatest but his most original” compositions for piano duet.
Read more here:
- Franz Peter Schubert: Octet in F major, D. 803: http://www.interlude.hk/front/franz-peter-schubert-octet-f-major-d-803/
- Gibbs, Christopher H. The Life of Schubert. Cambridge University Press, 2000. http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam032/99032936.pdf
- Franz Schubert – Fantasie in F Minor D. 940: http://www.franzpeterschubert.com/fantasie_in_f_minor_d_940.html