New Peck (Spring 2018) (Bernstein/Peck)
Composer’s Holiday (Foss/Reisen)
Not Our Fate (Nyman/Lovette)
Pulcinella Variations (Stravinsky/Peck)
- Pre-Performance Talk, 7pm – see below for details
- New York City Ballet, 8pm
NYCB Principal Dancer LAUREN LOVETTE will showcase her most recent NYCB work NOT OUR FATE (Fall 2017 World Premiere) for its SPAC Premiere. Her second creation for NYCB, the work features ten dancers and is set to three movements from composer Michael Nyman’s concert suite of music from his soundtrack for the Peter Greenaway film Prospero’s Brooks.
NYCB Resident Choreographer and Soloist JUSTIN PECK brings two works for their SPAC Premieres as part of the 21st Century Choreographers program. Peck’s PULCINELLA VARIATIONS (Fall 2017 World Premiere) is set to music by Stravinsky with costumes by fashion designer Tsumori Chisato and lighting by Mark Stanley. His forthcoming work for NYCB, which will to premiere at the NYCB’s 2018 Spring Gala, is inspired by Jerome Robbins and set to a Bernstein score.
Pre-Peformance Talk, 7pm
30 minute talk with Justin Peck, resident choreographer and soloist dancer, NYCB
Pre-Performance Talks are free for performance ticket holders thanks to generous support from Siena CollegeREGISTER
You must be attending the performance following the Pre-Performance Talk to attend the talk.
- Having premiered Composer’s Holiday at just 18 years old, Gianna Reisen has become the youngest choreographer to create a piece for the New York City Ballet.
- Composer’s Holiday also features, as part of an annual collaboration with notable fashion designers at City Ballet’s Fall Galas, costumes by Off-White’s Virgil Abloh – known for his sophisticated and progressive reinventions of streetwear.
- Despite being known for his ability to integrate the unexpected into his choreography, Justin Peck has successfully incorporated the classical form and structure of Stravinsky’s composition with sufficient originality to bring Pulcinella into the 21st century.
Read more here:
- Composer’s Holiday: https://www.nycballet.com/ballets/c/composers-holiday.aspx
- Pulcinella: https://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwdance/article/BWW-Review-NEW-YORK-CITY-BALLET-Presents-21st-Century-Choreographers-20171018