This Bitter Earth (Richter, Otis/Wheeldon)
*Indicates SPAC Premiere
SPAC’s New York City Ballet Gala will celebrate “Apollo & The Muses: A Summer Celebration” inspired by the ballet. Balanchine’s first collaboration with Stravinsky and one of his earliest international successes, Apollo presents the young god as he is ushered into adulthood by the muses of poetry, mime, and dance.
This Bitter Earth is a pas de deux from Christopher Wheeldon’s Five Movements, Three Repeats. The full work was originally created for Fang-Yi Sheu & Artists, a group led by former Martha Graham Dance Company star Fang-Yi Sheu that included NYCB dancers Wendy Whelan, Tyler Angle, and Craig Hall. This breathtaking and poetic dance explores the haunting, tenuous melodies of Dinah Washington’s soulful rendition of This Bitter Earth as remixed by British composer Max Richter.
The 2019 residency will conclude with Justin Peck’s new work – his fourth collaboration with Oscar-nominated composer Sufjan Stevens.
Read more here:
- Apollo: https://www.nycballet.com/ballets/a/apollo.aspx
- Stravinsky & Balanchine: https://www.nycballet.com/Season-Tickets/Winter-2018/Stravinsky-Balanchine.aspx
- This Bitter Earth: https://www.nycballet.com/ballets/t/this-bitter-earth.aspx
- Justin Peck: https://www.nycballet.com/Dancers/Dancers-Bios/Justin-Peck.aspx
- SUFJAN STEVENS AND JUSTIN PECK IN MOTION: https://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/sufjan-stevens-justin-peck-nycb