September 21, 2020 – November 1st, 2020
Produced by Eclipse Projects & The Office Performing Arts + Film
This fall, SPAC brings Ellen Reid SOUNDWALK – an immersive audio experience that uses music to illuminate the natural environment of the Spa State Park. Through a specially designed app, music performed by the world-class musicians of Soundwalk Ensemble follows visitors as they navigate the Geyser Creek and Vale Springs areas of Spa State Park.
SOUNDWALK is FREE to use and allows guests to experience world-class, immersive art while adhering to social distancing guidelines.
Simply download the free app on your phone, plug in your headphones and walk in the designated area at your own pace and direction for a unique experience that will give you a deep connection to art and nature.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE APP
About Ellen Reid:
As one of today’s most innovative artists, composer Ellen Reid won the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for her opera p r i s m and is recognized for her incredible body of work, including sound design, film scoring, and ensemble and choral writing. She created SOUNDWALK to be a nourishing, immersive experience for people, to escape the stress of the current challenges we’re facing together.
Ellen Reid, Composer and Sound Designer
Music performed by
Alex Sopp, flute
Joshua Rubin, clarinet
Riley Mulherkar, trumpet
Rachel Drehmann, french horn
Sidney Hopson, percussion
Kyle Poole, drums
Ashley Jackson, harp
Ellen Reid, synthesizer
Eliza Bagg, voice
Mona Tian, violin
Nadia Sirota, viola
Gabriel Cabezas, cello
Eclipse Projects – Co-Producer
THE OFFICE performing arts + film – Co-Producer
ECHOES.XYZ – App design and development
Playtime Studio, Los Angeles – Art
Daniel Neumann – Audio Engineer
Dante Green – Assistant Sound Designer
Ellen Reid SOUNDWALK was co-commissioned by Saratoga Performing Arts Center, the New York Philharmonic, Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts, Mann Center for the Performing Arts in association with The Fairmount Park Conservancy, and the Britt Festival Orchestra.
Ellen Reid SOUNDWALK is made possible in part by the support of Mindscapes, Wellcome’s international cultural program about mental health.
Additional generous support was provided by Dexter and Deborah Senft.
TRAVEL Directions for SOUNDWALK
From I-87 (Northway) into State Park (charges may apply):
- Take I-87 (The Northway) south/south to Exit 13N. As you exit at 13N, turn right off the ramp onto Rte. 9 North and continue for approximately 1.5 miles.
- Signs for the entrance to Saratoga Spa State Park will be on your left.
- Turn left onto the East West Road.
- Follow the East West Road for about 0.5 miles and turn right on the Geyser Loop Road.
- Parking will be a few hundred years ahead on the left.
From Route 50 into State Park (charges may apply):
- Travelling north or south on Route 50 (Ballston Ave), turn onto the East West Road into the Saratoga Spa State Park.
- After approximately 100 yards turn left onto Geyser Loop Road.
- Follow the Geyser Loop Road for about 0.5 miles to find parking near the Creekside Classroom on your right.
From Route 50 into SPAC Parking Lot:
- Travelling north or south on Route 50 (Ballston Ave), turn into the SPAC Parking Lot at the traffic light (approximately 392-398 Ballston Ave)
- Upon entering the parking lot, drive straight across towards the SPAC Box Office for the closest available parking.
- The trail entrance is marked by wooden posts near the Sundial.